If you need a delicious and super quick dinner idea look no further! This 5-ingredient, creamy comfort food recipe comes together in under 15 minutes. It is a hearty, flavorful bacon and mushroom rice that is perfect to fill up the tummy on a frisky day.
Every parent knows that a good dinner on a weekday is a quick dinner. The best after school dinner is one that can be (partially or even completely) made in advance. This bacon and mushroom rice is a great recipe to add to your “quick and easy meal plan recipes” list.
The dish comes together super quickly but sometimes even 15 minutes is too long to wait. So you’ll be glad to know that you can also make it completely in advance! Just reheat everything for a few minutes and dinner is served! This comes in super handy on days when dance practice starts right after class and you get home at an hour when they normally have already finished eating… Yep, that would be me every Tuesday.
This recipe also belongs in my semi-custom meals list. Meaning I can adjust and tweak it according to the person to whom I serve it. Three out of my four kids don’t like mushrooms. The eldest girl and both parents adore mushrooms. So I just cook the mushrooms separately, serve first all those who prefer not to have mushrooms and add them in the sauce later.
So let’s get to it: here’s your next go-to quick and easy recipe for weeknight dinners!
Creamy Bacon and Mushroom Rice Recipe
Ingredients (for 6)
- 200g (7 oz) cubed bacon
- 500g (17,5 oz) fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsps crème fraîche (or heavy cream or sour cream)
- 300 g (10,5oz) uncooked rice
Cook the rice according to the instructions on the bag.
Fry the cubed bacon on a frying pan until nicely browned.
Add crème fraîche. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to get all the flavor from the fried bits in the sauce.
At the same time, slice mushrooms in sectors (or any bite sized pieces).
Melt the butter in a separate frying pan.
Transfer mushrooms on the pan and cook them on medium heat until cooked through and slightly browned.
Stir the mushrooms into the bacon and cream sauce.
You can mix the sauce straight into the rice or serve them separately. My kids are particular about mixed together foods so I often keep things separate, but it really makes no difference.
If you wish to make it in advance, you have two options.
- Stir everything together and store in a airtight container. Since there’s cream involved in this version, I wouldn’t keep it in the fridge for more than 3 days (but this long it will keep for sure). When heating it up, add 1tbsp of crème fraîche.
- Prepare all ingredients separately and only stir them together when ready to eat. This takes a few moments more to prep your dinner (but is still super fast), but since the cream is not mixed in you can keep the separate ingredients in the fridge a bit longer. If you wish to keep it longer I suggest this option.
For more easy recipes you should definitely subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on Instagram where in addition to recipe ideas I share my cooking & organizing tips and tricks plus some anecdotes of the life of a mom-of-4.
Here’s to smooth weekday evenings!