Banana bread is the most versatile snack recipe to have in your back pocket! It’s a perfect choice for breakfast, as a snack or a everyday dessert. Pour some icing or chocolate glaze over it and it becomes a lovely cake suitable for any special occasion!
I tried out a lot of banana bread recipes and this is the one put together from all my experiments. Trust me, it is a keeper! This super easy recipe makes a lovely loaf that is moist and airy simultaneously. A real treat that feels like an indulgence but is easy enough to whip together for any weekday dinner.
You can taste the sweetness of banana without it being overwhelming. I like the texture that comes with added sugar but actually the bananas are sweet enough on their own and you can omit the sugar completely in this recipe if you wish! I would add an few additional tbsps of flour in this case to even up the texture.
Banana bread recipe
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 100g (1/2 cup) of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 125ml (½ cup) of neutral oil (sunflower in my case)
- 250g (2 cups) of flour
- 1 tbsp of vanilla sugar/extract (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
Heat up oven to 180 C (375 F).
Mash the bananas. I usually use a fork to press them into a mushy mess.
Mix sugars, vanilla, eggs and mashed bananas in a big bowl (you can also use a stand mixer).
Add oil, mix well.
Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix everything together until just combined. NB! Overmixing makes the cake too dense.
Pour the batter in a greased cake tin.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Take your banana bread out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes in the tin before placing it on a cooling rack.
Versions to try:
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate (replace 3 tbsp of flour with unsweetened cocoa powder).
- Marble (alternate white batter and chocolate batter to create marble effect.
- Apple and cinnamon (add finely chopped apple and a few tbsp of cinnamon).
- Blueberry (add a few handfuls of frozen blueberries).
- Nuts and dried fruit (add chopped up walnuts or pecans and small chunks of dried fruit like apricots, raisins, cranberries or figs, whatever you prefer).
You can also download my list of 30 Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids if you’re looking for inspiration💚.