Halloween snacks do not need to be only candy snd sweets. The easiest way to lighten up the sugar load is to turn to fruit. Try these scary fruit skewers to have a fresh snack to put on your holiday table.
In most European countries Halloween is not celebrated in the big way it is in the US for example but it is slowly catching on here as well.
This year my Monsieur decided that the girls are old enough to have the house well and truly decorated. So now I have cobwebs hanging from my living room furniture and ceiling, a mommy floats around in one corner and on the kitchen counter a huge red-eyed spider makes a shrieking sound every now and then when you least expect it. Lovely isn’t it?
I was quite skeptical about the whole idea. I need to say that I am the person who categorically REFUSES to watch horror movies and has a serious aversion to anything zombie-related (zombies were out of the question when decorating – that was my only veto). Now, a few weeks later, I must admit that it’s fun to have decorations up. Also our 4- and (almost) 6-year-old girls seem to be less afraid of random scary costumes or decorations they see elsewhere thanks to having lots of spiders and other boogies at home😄.
This year due to the covid-situation we will not go trick-or-treating or host a Halloween party. But that doesn’t mean that we cannot practice with just our own family. Some day we will be able to meet people again and then we will hold a tremendous Halloween party in our haunted house!
Who says party, says lots of snacks. Halloween is a notoriously candy-centered holiday. There is nothing wrong with having candy and sweets from time to time, but there are also alternative snacks that can be just as playful. Like for example these spooky fruit skewers!
Scary Fruit Skewers
Makes 6 skewers
- 1/2 Cantaloupe melon
- 6 Big-sized green grapes
- 1 Banana
- Chocolate glaze pencil / melted chocolate in a piping bag
- Edible eyes
- Baking glue
- Edible marker (optional)
- 6 bamboo skewers
- Scoop out 6 melon balls with a melon scoop.
- Wash the grapes and separate 6 big oval grapes
- Slice the banana in 6 pieces, each about 1,5cm (0,5 inches) thick
- Use the chocolate glaze to draw triangle eyes and a vampire smile on the melon balls.
- Glue the edible eyes on the green grapes with the baking glue and draw a Frankenstein stitched mouth with the edible marker. I suppose that you can also draw with chocolate glaze, but I haven’t tried if it sticks on the smooth skin of the grapes. Let me know if you test this😉.
- With the chocolate glaze draw round small eyes and an oval screaming mouth on the banana ghosts.
- Arrange one banana, one grape and one melon ball on six skewers, making sure the faces look the same way.
- Let the scary faces set for about an hour in the refrigerator.
You can prepare the scary skewers up to a day in advance but the fruit looks better if it’s prepared on the same day.
I hope you got some inspiration from this article. Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter to be the first to know about new blog posts and follow me on Instagram for everyday tips and recipe ideas.
If you want more snacking inspiration go check out my list of 30 Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids so that you never run out of healthy snacks to serve!
You might also like these posts:
Healthy Snacking Tips for Kids & Easy Tuna Dip Recipe
Cherry Tomato Cupids Arrows & 5 More Healthy Valentines Treat Ideas
3 thoughts on “Scary Skewers: A Healthy Halloween Treat Idea”
Great little Halloween party skewers 👻
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much 😊 They are definitely fun 🤩